“It’s not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.”
– Charles Spurgeon
So it seems that there is some hope, even for the negative thinkers amongst us, to find true happiness. And not just momentarily hedonic treadmill happiness (people return to their level of happiness, regardless of what happens to them, e.g they win in the lottery). No, I’m referring to true life-changing contentment.
Let’s increase your level of happiness lastingly.
6 steps to make you happy
1. Do a daily exercise of awareness. May it be yoga, meditation or some other practice. Do it daily. Cultivate your consciousness. No excuses. It’s your precious time.
2. Smile. Imagine an old friend you’re about to see. Think of a funny situation that happened to you. Or just simply smile without any reason. Do it now.
3. Eat healthy. Find a diet that suits your needs and body. A balanced one and stick to it. Experiment with what your body needs. Leave out the sweet for a while. Reduce coffee and alcohol. Eat slow. Chew.
4. Enjoy today. And try to make the best out of it. We take life for granted. But it’s a gift. Take what’s been given to you and do it. Leave your comfort zone. Take risks. Don’t let your fears get in your way of reaching your dreams. Step up. Embrace yourself, your strengths and face your day with new energy. Our attitude defines our actions and our behaviour. A positive attitude will change your day.
5. Think of 5 things every day before you go to bed that you are grateful for, even repetitive things like the sunshine, or your family, your work.
6. Don’t worry, be happy. Relax. Breathe. Sing a song, ride a bike. Pat your dog. If there is nothing big to worry about in your life then you are already happy. You just have to open your eyes and see what you have not been able to see the whole time. You are already perfect.
Changes will only be possible with real effort. Don’t expect different results with the same approach.